Scholarship Programmes for Students in the Republic of Slovenia
The Slovenia Government offers many scholarship programmes to both Slovene and international students. Read on to know about the scholarships, grants and other financial support available for students in Slovenia:
Government of the Republic of Slovenia Scholarships
The Government of the Republic of Slovenia provides scholarships to Slovene and international students or researchers who want to study in Slovenia higher education institutions
or high school.
The state scholarships are managed and awarded by following organizations:
is a public scientific and education foundation of Slovenia that provides scholarship, loans and other financial support for higher education
CMEPIUS- Centre for Mobility and European Programs also manages scholarships given by the Government of Slovenia.
Scholarships for International Students
The Government of the Republic of Slovenia awards scholarships to pupils from following countries:
Czech Republic, Turkey, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Hungary, China, Israel, Poland, Serbia, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Italy, Mexico, Russia and Egypt
Also, scholarships are awarded to pupils from Austria, Netherlands, Japan, Sweden, Spain, Germany and Switzerland.
Students coming from the countries that have signed bilateral agreements on exchange programmes and scholarship programmes with the Republic of Slovenia are given the first preference.
- Candidate age must not be above 35 years
- Candidate must have an acceptance letter from the higher education institution in Slovenia
- Candidate must have proficiency in Slovene or other language approved by their research supervisor
- Candidates must have completed the basic university programme
- Research scientists who wish to go for their pre-diploma studies in Slovenia are also eligible
Field of Study: Any discipline offered by the higher education institutions of Slovenia
Scholarship period: 3-10 months
Scholarship benefits: Covers student residence hall costs and medical insurance for non-EU country students, or pupils from countries that have no bilateral agreement on medical insurance with the Republic of Slovenia.
Applying ways and means: Candidates must apply for this scholarship through the competent authorities of their country. The authorities collect the application and recommend the candidate names to the agencies that manage these scholarships. The list of the recommended candidates along with the original application form and 2 copies of the same, with the required documents must be sent to the CMEPIUS agency.
To know more about the scholarship offered by CMEPIUS, click here
Scholarships by the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs
The Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs provides scholarships of varying amounts to financially disadvantaged candidates. The ministry issues an open call for state-funded scholarship in June every year.
- Slovene nationals, EU/EEA countries citizens and nationals of third-world countries holding a temporary or permanent residence permit in Slovenia are eligible.
- Candidates’ age must not be more than 26 for higher education; and for secondary school the age must not be more than 18, and for research visits the candidate must be not more than 30.
Field of Study: Any discipline offered by the higher education institutions and high schools of Slovenia
Slovene Human Resources Development and Scholarship Fund
The Slovene Human Resources Development and Scholarship Fund provides information and financial support to international mobility of pupils and researchers from and to the Republic of Slovenia. It carries out several scholarship programmes for Slovene and international students who wish to study in Slovenia.
Scholarship programmes are offered for higher education and high school education. Following are the scholarship programmes:
- Zois Scholarships
- Fulbright Program
- Corporate scholarships
Zois scholarships were started in 1986 and are state merit scholarships. The zois scholarships since 2009-09 are governed under the Scholarship Act and are managed by the Slovene Human Resources Development and Scholarship Fund. This scholarship is for students who wish to go for secondary education or higher education in Slovenia.
- Candidate must be in the last year of elementary school with GPA 4.70
- Candidate in the high school must have a GPA of 4.10, or a golden graduate
- Candidate must have a GPA of 8.5 in the first year or must be among the top 5% of the students.
Scholarship call date: June every year
Dates and deadlines
- For higher education pupils: October
- For high school pupils: Early September
The corporate scholarships main aim is to build a relationship between students and employers. This scholarship is for career building or employment, and practical training.
Fulbright Program is an international exchange scholarship program between the United States of America and 155 countries. One of the cooperating countries is Slovenia.
This program offers grants each year to international students who wish to study in the cooperating countries.
To know about the program, click here
To know more about the scholarship programmes offered by the Slovene Human Resource Development and Scholarship Fund and their application process, click here.